Dwight and Mamie Eisenhower relished life in Gettysburg. As he often remarked to friends, in retirement Ike sought to secure a piece of property that he could leave in better shape than he found it. The purchase in November 1950 of the 189-acre Redding Farm on the Millertown Road, only a short distance from Confederate A venue, was the outcome. Of course the Eisenhowers could have purchased a sizable farm in any number of locations. A Gettysburg address was predicated on their warm memories of a six-month sojourn in the borough in 1918 and recognition that Gettysburg was a convenient location for access to major cities. Lobbying by the Eisenhowers' friends George and Mary Allen, who owned an 88-acre farm four miles south of the square in Gettysburg, along the Emmitsburg Road, also influenced the Eisenhowers' pursuit of a Gettysburg property. [excerpt]
Birkner, Michael J.
"The Eisenhowers at Twilight: A Visit to the Eisenhower Farm, 1967,"
Adams County History: Vol. 13
, Article 6.
Available at: https://cupola.gettysburg.edu/ach/vol13/iss1/6