In the 1860s Gettysburg had a population of around 2,400. The Culps had lived there since 1787, the year Christopher Culp purchased the farm, located on the east end of town, with its western boundry starting at Baltimore St. between Breckenridge and South Streets, going northeast to South Stratton St. and Wall Alley East, then on to East Middle St. between South Stratton and Liberty Streets. The town more or less ended at the farm boundary. Prominent on the farm and southeast of town was Culp's Hill. Five generations of Culps had lived in Gettysburg by the time of the battle. [excerpt]
Culp, David A.
"Some Culp Family Members in the Civil War,"
Adams County History:
Vol. 4, Article 3.
Available at: http://cupola.gettysburg.edu/ach/vol4/iss1/3