About The Cupola
The Cupola: Scholarship at Gettysburg College is a collection of scholarly and creative works produced by faculty, students, and other members of the Gettysburg College community.
- Works by faculty and staff include journal articles, book chapters, books, open textbooks, working papers, conference presentations, blog posts, and more. Works may be unpublished or previously published. If works have been previously published, the Library will seek permission from the copyright holder (who may not be the author) to post the full-text in The Cupola.
- Student contributions include class papers, published articles, posters, creative works, artwork, photographs, scores, sound recordings, presentations, and more.
- The Cupola also hosts six open access, peer-reviewed journals.
The Cupola is an open repository; its content is freely accessible to the world and searchable via Google and other search engines.
Browse The Cupola by department to get a sense of what faculty and student research in various disciplines. For more information about scholarly communications services at Musselman Library (author rights, copyright, open access, journal publishing), see the scholarly communications guide. For questions, contact .
- All users must respect the intellectual property rights of the copyright holder. Any use which exceeds personal use or fair use under U.S. copyright law may require permission from the copyright owner.
- For previously unpublished scholarly or creative works, the right to download or print any portion of this material is granted by the copyright owner only for personal or educational use. The author/creator retains all proprietary rights, including copyright ownership. Any editing, other reproduction or other use of this material by any means requires the express written permission of the copyright owner, unless specified by a Creative Commons license.
- Material may not be copied, distributed, displayed, altered, or used for commercial purposes, unless specified by a Creative Commons License.
- Except as provided above, or for any other use that is allowed by fair use (Title 17, §107 U.S.C.), you may not reproduce, republish, post, transmit or distribute any material from this web site in any physical or digital form without the permission of the copyright owner (not necessarily the author) of the material.
If you have questions about permitted uses for any content in this database, please contact .
Policies and Information for Faculty Authors
Policies and Information for Student Authors
Diversity and Inclusion
The Cupola: Scholarship at Gettysburg College is Gettysburg College's institutional repository. It is administered by Musselman Library and embraces its values of critical and imaginative thinking and lifelong learning. As stated in the Library’s Diversity and Inclusion Statement, “Musselman Library is committed to creating, through our learning spaces, programs, services, collections, and policies, an environment that supports, values, and respects everyone in the Gettysburg College community”. The Cupola similarly seeks to foster and celebrate diversity in its many forms, including, but not limited to, age, country of origin, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, geography, learning differences, political beliefs, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic level.
The Cupola strives to support this mission primarily by promoting open forms of scholarship that are accessible to anyone around the world, and promoting transparency, equity, and inclusivity in the scholarly communications system. The Cupola provides free access to a variety of open content including scholarly journal articles, open textbooks, creative pieces, peer-reviewed undergraduate journals, and more.
Musselman Library’s commitment to open involves financial support for open access initiatives, an open access mandate for all publications by library employees, oversight of the college’s institutional repository, and sustained outreach to the campus community by the Scholarly Communications Department in partnership with their colleagues across the library. Librarians are available to help faculty understand how publishing contracts impact the open sharing of their scholarship, and to help faculty locate open educational resources (OER) for use in their courses.
The Cupola is the foundation of the Library's commitment to open access and open publishing. By publishing in The Cupola, Gettysburg College faculty, staff, and students increase the visibility of Gettysburg College scholarship and provide access to Gettysburg Great work for scholars and learners around the globe. Gettysburg College faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to deposit their original works in The Cupola, and its administrators are dedicated to the work of negotiating with publishers and copyright holders for the open sharing of these works.