About two miles south of McSherrystown and a similar distance southwest of Hanover, in Conewago Township, lies the small village of Mt. Pleasant. The community developed at and near the intersection of State Route 194, commonly called the Hanover-Littlestown Pike, and Legislative Route 01005, known in days past as the road from McSherrystown to Gitt's Mill and its segment south of the intersection called in recent times Narrow Drive. In the eastern quadrant of the intersection, a church was built in 1878; nearby and adjacent to the crossroads sat a public school, which had been built sometime before 1858. The school was known by two names, Mt. Pleasant and Schwartz's, and the village itself was also called by some people Schwartz's or Schwartz's Schoolhouse. Further, like the church, the school had religious significance to residents of the vicinity. [excerpt]
Bolin, Larry C.
"Mt. Pleasant Church, Conewago Township,"
Adams County History: Vol. 11
, Article 4.
Available at: https://cupola.gettysburg.edu/ach/vol11/iss1/4