- Philosophy of The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era
- Who Can Submit?
- General Submission Rules
- Formatting Requirements
- Copyright & Author Rights
Philosophy of The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era
The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era publishes annually undergraduate papers on the Civil War Era and its lasting memory. We are interested in academic essays, public history essays, and book reviews broadly relating to the American Civil War. For further details on submitting your work, please see The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era About this Journal.
Who Can Submit?
Original undergraduate work may be submitted for consideration of publication in The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era, provided they own the copyright to the work being submitted or are authorized by the copyright owner(s) to submit the article. Any student with an interest in the Civil War may submit, including graduate students, as long as the work submitted is undergraduate work written within the past five years.
Authors automatically own copyright of their own writing. If authors include materials in their submissions which are copyrighted by others (such as photographs), permission must be obtained from the copyright holder of those materials. Please contact us with questions – we will work with you to understand copyright!
General Submission Rules
- To be considered for publication, submissions must be received in their entirety by the annual submission deadline.
- To submit an article or essay, authors must create a free account in The Cupola. This can be done here.
- Please ensure that your submission has not been published previously, nor be forthcoming or under review in another journal or book (print or online). Likewise, please do not send your submission to another journal (print or online) until editorial decisions have been finalized at The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era.
If you have concerns about the submission terms for The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era, please contact the editors.
The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era has no rules about the formatting of submissions.
However, there are formatting guidelines for accepted articles. Authors of accepted articles will be contacted by editors about these requirements (final formatting requirements are also available here). Although the editors may provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to produce an electronic version of the article as a high-quality PDF file, or file that can be easily converted to PDF (such as Microsoft Word or RTF).
Copyright & Author Rights
Authors who submit to the journal agree to the following:
- The author retains copyright of the work.
- The author grants to the Gettysburg College Civil War Institute and The Cupola a non-exclusive license to print, publish, reproduce, and/or distribute the work in print and/or online, and to market the work.
- The author agrees not to publish the submitted work in print or digital form prior to publication by The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the The Cupola: Scholarship at Gettysburg College agree not to misuse the website and/or software. Editors of The Gettysburg College Journal of the Civil War Era agree to evaluate and peer-review all submissions in a prompt manner and communicate decisions and desired revisions to the author. Administrators of The Cupola agree to fulfill any/all duties mentioned in the journal’s policies. If any part of the journal’s policies or submission agreement is found to be invalid, the remainder of the policies and submission agreement remain valid and enforced.
These policies and the Submission Agreement constitute the entire agreement between The Cupola: Scholarship at Gettysburg College and the author(s) regarding submission of the work.